Saturday, December 28, 2013

Makeup Remover Comparison

No matter how tired we are at the end of the day, we always need to remove that makeup! I've used a number of different products to remove my makeup, and here's what I thought of a few of the drugstore ones on the market that I've tried so far!

Pond's Cold Cream (6.1-9.5 oz) - $4-$9 USD

This is the first makeup remover I used, just because I had it lying around from before. I used it on my eyes, and eventually on my face as I began to use concealer, for at least two years. This stuff works great on getting product off fast and without much effort - just gently rub on and remove with a tissue, then wash your face. It's pretty oily and does claim that it won't clog pores, but I have attributed to occasional breakouts due to this, because when I stopped using it, so did the random blemishes in the areas I used this. The breakouts were pretty seldom though, so if you want to try to use this for removing face makeup, it is probably one of the easiest ways.

I no longer use this for removing my face products, but I would definitely recommend this for quickly removing stubborn eye makeup, ie gels and waterproof mascara.


Maybelline Clean Express Makeup Remover: Classic Makeup Remover - $6 USD


I tried this when it was pretty new thinking it might be easier to remove waterproof mascara and gel eyeliner, and I did not find that that was the case. When I used this, it took a very long time to remove any of my eyemakeup, with a noticeable amount of tugging. There is also a waterproof version of this out that I wish I'd tried instead!



Olay Clean and Mild Makeup Remover Cloths With Aloe Vera (20 ct) - $4


Love these. They smell great and work effectively, and you can use it all over your face. These stay pretty moist. You have to work a little to get the waterproof stuff off, but after several wipes it's gone. And best of all, I don't break out from these! I see these less often at the stores, but it's my favorite go-to makeup wipe. I feel the price kind of high ish for the number of cloths you get, however.


Olay Fresh Effects Swipe Out Refreshing Makeup Removal Cloths (20 ct) - $5-6 USD
To me, these seem very similar to the above Olay remover cloths. Wonderful smell, works after a a number of wipes. I love these also, and when I can't find the other Olay one I get these. And especially since it's a little on the costly end, I reuse them to get the most use out of them. Depending on how much makeup you use, just use a different section for different days, and use both sides.


Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes (25 ct) - $5-7 USD
I tried these because it was a better value price-wise than the Olay ones, but I was disappointed because although this is okay at taking off makeup, I broke out after using this. They are sitting in my bathroom still mostly full :(


Equate Original Clean Wet Cleansing Towelettes (60 ct) - $4 USD
This is another pretty good makeup wipe! They are relatively inexpensive for the amount of cloths you get, and can be found at Walmart. I believe it also comes in refills. Takes off makeup including waterproof mascara after a few wipes, although it takes a bit more wipes than the wetter Olay ones. The only real downside to these is that they dry out pretty quickly.


Ponds Original Fresh Wet Cleansing Towelettes (30ct) - $5-6 USD

[just bought after I made this post, review to come]
edit [3-24-16]: A few years later, I finally get to try it. Upon opening the package, it is still very moist despite being tucked away for a while. These are very wet - almost soap-like, with the bubbles. It does feel nice using it on the face for that reason, and it seems to get my concealer off. It has a harder time with eye products, mostly mascara, but it gets the job done, although flakey and messy. These also leaves my face with a drier feeling, which I don't like. Another con is that these have so. many. holes. I feel like there's 50% less product because of how much space there is due to this design. Also, I got a blemish on my nose after a couple days of wearing this, reminiscent of my teenage Pond's cold cream days which I reviewed above. That hasn't happened in a whiiiile, so it could be a coincidence, or perhaps it is attributed to this.

+I like to reuse makeup wipes, and when doing so, I've found it's a better idea to store your currently used wipe in a ziploc bag, rather than stuffing it back into the package. This prevents the other new wipes from drying out too quickly from opening and closing the package, as well as the adhesive of the seal wearing off and allowing more air in.


That concludes all the makeup removers that I recall I've tried so far! I like the Olay ones the best, but I'm still on the search for a holy grail makeup remover. Removing the stubborn waterproof mascara and gel liner must have an easier way to be removed! If you can recommend me any, I'd love to hear!

San

No comments:

Post a Comment