Friday, February 6, 2015

My First Job: Chipotle

During my teen years, beginning the time I turned 16 years of age, I started applying for work. I sent out a round of applications every year after that, and never got an interview, to my avail. It's the silly cycle of needing work experience to get work, but not being able to get work for that experience. I didn't think I had many connections to boost my chances, either.

In my third year of college, when I was 19, I was encouraged by my boyfriend to apply for a job. With that push, after applying to many places via Craigslist and home sites, I got an interview. I studied Chipotle's history and what they were about, but I didn't need that info to get the job, apparently. The interview was quick and easy (granted I didn't have much job experience to discuss) and was told to go do onboarding right after.

I'd been to Chipotle maybe three times before over the course of several years, and it felt like a treat each visit. I think it's a good thing to work in locations you have enjoyed before, because you can remember the experience you had as a customer and use that to make the job fun and motivating.

I look back at this job, and it was awesome. The pros included:

  • They were accommodating with my school schedule, then volunteering schedule, so I was able to transition between my other activities without trouble.
  • I didn't have to open or close if I didn't want to (I closed one time because I was asked), and the schedule was in regular chunks of time, either afternoon or evening.
  • I worked in a great city. There weren't many uncooperative people, if any.
  • The free food. 'Nuff said. I could eventually scarf down most of a burrito in my 10-minute break. Although white rice + corn burritos became my go-to. It's weird, I know.
I guess I also served a state football star, though I didn't know it at the time. Saw him in the restaurant again another time. Kinda cool in theory to interact with an athlete some of my family goes crazy over, haha.

I learned how to yell because the place can get loud, when taking orders and placing orders for more rice, beans, etc. I learned basic customer service skills. I learned how to work in general. I learned how to make a quesarito. (Please don't order them when we're busy, haha.) 

My Chipotle uniform. I also became a hair-bun pro.

It was apparently one of the, if not the busiest branch in the state, and though we could have the line wrap around the dining room, it wasn't too bad. It was fun and challenging trying to get things down quickly and efficiently, rather than anything too stressful. The only parts I didn't enjoy was being in the heat and commuting quite a bit. Quite minuscule factors compared to other job-related issues that can possibly occur.

I worked there for a total of just shy of three months. (I had to leave due to the internship I was starting across the country.) The GM said I could come back if I wanted to, which I appreciated, and I've considered going back. I decided though I learned a lot and enjoyed my time working as crew at Chipotle, I wanted to try a new experience. So continues my journey. (I just accepted a job offer today, and I look forward to starting in a new environment and to learn new things!)

No comments:

Post a Comment