Saturday, February 7, 2015

I Worked at Walt Disney World

I moved from the very northwest to the very southeast of the country, from Washington to Florida to work at Walt Disney World.

It's been just about one month since I returned from my Disney College Program, Fall 2014. The application process began for me just about a year ago. The application process consists of receiving a web-based interview, then a phone interview, and then paying the fees associated with acceptance. My best advice that I've scrounged out during that time period is to be honest, answer the extreme ends of the spectrum for the WBI, look up the common phone interview questions beforehand and prepare your answers, and rehearse them with a smile. Here and here are some good PI resources that I used.


I remember getting that acceptance email while sitting in my college cafeteria, and contemplating whether I should really go. For nearly half a year. But a month before the actual start date, I knew I wouldn't really have the chance to do this again without interfering with school and the people I cared about supported me.

My ODV costume, sans floppy hat.
My chosen arrival date of September 2nd was the latest one I could pick, and thus was the shortest program for nationals. I'd never been to the east coast before, let alone WDW. Just about 4 months I worked in Disney's Animal Kingdom as an Outdoor Vendor (ODV). I worked all over the park, opened, closed, worked 12+ hour days standing outside, sold hundreds of ice creams a day, made falafel sandwiches, burnt myself making Mickey pretzels, interacted with thousands and thousands of people, had a lot of fun, and experienced a lot of stress. All in all, I ended up being grateful for my role, and had some good times with the people I worked with. Even though I was very ready to leave by the end of the program, I still cried the last day of work. I could never do what I was doing there forever, but you get a little attached to the work and the people, and I'll miss it.

My last scheduled day of work, with just a fraction of my fellow cast members.

While working in the place "Where Dreams Come True", I learned a lot of things, including by non-magical means. I learned that people will give you shit, but you can't take it personally. I learned that you have to make your own fun at work, and taking a genuine interest in learning about people is part of that. I learned how to live on my own, and while it wasn't hard or overwhelming, you can miss home and some clean things.

I learned it's hard to get sick of Disney. I tried.

It was a childhood dream of mine to work for Disney, and I didn't think I'd be living on my own for the first time across the country while doing it. It was quite an experience working for the mouse, and I hope I can return to it someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment